Medical Genetics is the main focus of our lab. Working on the foundation that the Human Genome Project has built, we are constantly trying to characterize un-annotated genes and proteins that are associated with hereditary disorders.
Lysosomes have always been a focused part of our research- characterizing lysosomal proteins can help us discover ways to fight back against lysosomal storage neurodegenerative diseases. Dr. Sardiello characterized TFEB (Transcription Factor EB) in 2009, with a groundbreaking study which refined the role of lysosomes. Since then, the Sardiello lab has been dedicated towards understanding lysosomal protein in an effort to cure or treat Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinoses, a specific category of lysosomal storage diseases.
Translational Medicine is one of our lab’s biggest priorities. We believe strongly in bench-to-bedside approaches, and work hard to fulfill that ideal. Much of our research is focused on not only characterizing and discovering new scientific concepts, but also on how to deliver the fruit of our discoveries to the patients that need it. The Sardiello Lab is here to help.
- Calpain activity is negatively regulated by a KCTD7–Cullin-3 complex via non-degradative ubiquitinationCalpain activity is negatively regulated by a KCTD7–Cullin-3 complex via non-degradative ubiquitinationSharma, J., Mulherkar, S., Chen, U. I., Xiong, Y., Bajaj, L., Cho, B. K., Goo, Y. A., Leung, H. C. E., Tolias, K. F. & Sardiello, M., Dec 2023, In: Cell Discovery. 9, 1, 32.Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
- Guidelines for the use and interpretation of assays for monitoring autophagy (4th edition)<sup>1</sup>Guidelines for the use and interpretation of assays for monitoring autophagy (4th edition)1 Klionsky, D. J., Abdel-Aziz, A. K., Abdelfatah, S., Abdellatif, M., Abdoli, A., Abel, S., Abeliovich, H., Abildgaard, M. H., Abudu, Y. P., Acevedo-Arozena, A., Adamopoulos, I. E., Adeli, K., Adolph, T. E., Adornetto, A., Aflaki, E., Agam, G., Agarwal, A., Aggarwal, B. B., Agnello, M., Agostinis, P., & 2,909 othersAgrewala, J. N., Agrotis, A., Aguilar, P. V., Ahmad, S. T., Ahmed, Z. M., Ahumada-Castro, U., Aits, S., Aizawa, S., Akkoc, Y., Akoumianaki, T., Akpinar, H. A., Al-Abd, A. M., Al-Akra, L., Al-Gharaibeh, A., Alaoui-Jamali, M. A., Alberti, […]
- A CLN6-CLN8 complex recruits lysosomal enzymes at the ER for Golgi transferBajaj, L., Sharma, J., di Ronza, A., Zhang, P., Eblimit, A., Pal, R., Roman, D., Collette, J. R., Booth, C., Chang, K. T., Sifers, R. N., Jung, S. Y., Weimer, J. M., Chen, R., Schekman, R. W. & Sardiello, M., Aug 3 2020, In: Journal of Clinical Investigation. 140, 8, p. 4118-4132 15 p.Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
- VAMP associated proteins are required for autophagic and lysosomal degradation by promoting a PtdIns4P-mediated endosomal pathwayVAMP associated proteins are required for autophagic and lysosomal degradation by promoting a PtdIns4P-mediated endosomal pathwayMao, D., Lin, G., Tepe, B., Zuo, Z., Tan, K. L., Senturk, M., Zhang, S., Arenkiel, B. R., Sardiello, M. & Bellen, H. J., Jul 3 2019, In: Autophagy. 15, 7, p. 1214-1233 20 p.Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
- Lysosome biogenesis in health and diseaseBajaj, L., Lotfi, P., Pal, R., Ronza, A. D., Sharma, J. & Sardiello, M., Mar 2019, In: Journal of Neurochemistry. 148, 5, p. 573-589 17 p.Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-review